6.04.2008

Why Give to Seabury now? Trustee and Alum Lane Hensley shares his thoughts

I’m writing as an alum of Seabury as well as a Trustee. Those of us who are trustees are hearing good, honest, and difficult questions about Seabury’s major announcements and about its future. Chief among those questions has been, “Why should anyone give money to Seabury now, if Seabury is getting out of the residential M.Div. business? Does the Seabury I know even exist anymore?”

Yes we do, and I want to offer my own thoughts to explain why I think it’s imperative that everyone continue to give to Seabury. It’s this simple: Seabury still has 20 M.Div. and 35 D.Min. students enrolled, students who bring valuable gifts and hopes for ministry that everyone preceding them did. They deserve the same high-quality educational formation for ministry that Seabury has been giving and continues to give, and the church deserves to have them equipped as leaders for Christ. We need to make that happen.

My wife’s work paid my way through Seabury without my receiving any financial aid, and I often make the mistake of saying that we paid for my education. We didn’t. We paid my full tuition and fees, but it’s always been the case that tuition and fees pay for only a fraction of the total real cost of educating a student.

We need to make sure that the total cost of educating the continuing Seabury students is provided for. Each student will be paying a significant tuition bill from their own resources, but the rest of the real cost must be covered as well. In large measure, it is the annual appeal that helps us to meet this important obligation. Remember that gifts to the annual fund go directly to the education of current students, and not to the retirement of debt.

The Bottom Line: What Do I Want From You?

Becky and I made a significant gift to Seabury in October, and my parish did the same. We plan to do it again for the upcoming fiscal year. I’m also giving a $150 gift today in thanksgiving for Seabury’s 150th anniversary. I’m asking you to consider the following: If you haven’t given to Seabury in recent years, make a gift of at least $150. If you already are a regular Seabury donor, increase your gift by $150. The current students need and deserve our financial support right now.

I am more proud than ever to be an alumnus of Seabury, and I hope you’ll join me in equipping the current students so they can say the same.

Faithfully,

The Reverend Lane G. Hensley, 01

No comments: